Online craps, which enjoys popularity with online casino goers in Nigeria, is a pure game of chance that requires a player to know all game intricacies to maximize the winning odds. Craps is played with two dice thrown simultaneously at the beginning of each round. Players’ objective is to predict different outcomes of the dice throw by placing a certain bet on the digital table. Since there are multiple possible outcomes, the number of bets is also impressive.
When a first timer looks at the table, he/she will be kind of confused by it because of a number of figures and words printed on the table. Yet in essence, the game is fairly simple to play as soon as the player learns the ropes. There are no winning strategies that can provide advantage over the house because all kinds of bets have a built-in house edge, whether very small, small or medium-sized. What an NG player can do is stick to good bets and avoid bad ones, thus enabling the bankroll to last longer and playing craps online more consistently.
Online craps basics
The first two bets that the player would need are Pass and Don’t Pass. Before a round begins, the player has to place either bet. In many variations of online craps a bet normally starts at one naira. The player can pick suitable casino chip values (1 naira, 10 nairas, 100 nairas, etc.) for customizing a bet size to their preference.
The Pass bet will win if the dice total will be 7 or 11, and lose of the dice show 2, 3 or 12. Similarly, the Don’t Pass bet is winner if the dice throw results in 2, 3 or 12, and lose if the total is 7 or 11. In both outcomes, the game ends, the bets are settled (paid out to the player or carries over to the casino) and a new game starts. If the result of the throw was 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10, the following occurs:
- Bets placed on Come/Don’t Come are kept on the table
- The game advances to a new phase
- The rolled out number becomes a “point number”, and
- The player is allowed to continue placing bets.
Now, in the second phase, the player may place all the other bets marked on the table – the most popular and beneficial choices are described below. Supposing that the player keeps on the game without placing any more bets, the game will run as follows: the dice are rolled until either the point number or 7 comes, which leads to the end of the game. If the point number is obtained, the Come bet wins. If 7 occurs first, the Don’t Come bet wins. In this paragraph, the simplest case is illustrated, that assumes the player limits himself to only Come or Don’t Come bet types.
As soon as the first phase is finished and the point number has been determined, the player can also try Pass/Don’t Pass bets, which are actually the same as Come/Don’t Come but they are active only in the second phase.
Best bets in craps online
Good bets are considered those that have the highest player’s advantage and the lowest house edge – this is an important aspect that should be kept in mind when playing online craps in a Nigerian online casino. The best choice in craps online is always to place any of the four bets reviewed above because they have the house edge of only 1.36% or 1.41%. Admittedly, cutting off all the other bets would make the entire game process somewhat dull, even if playing for real money.
To invigorate it a little, players may combine these low-risk bets with other opportunities, for example, Odds bets. These are side bets that can be placed at the second stage (after the point number is established) and they are made in addition to any of the four initial bets (Come, Pass, etc.). By making an Odds bet, the player predicts whether the point number or 7 will appear first. An Odds bet may increase the original bet by x1, x2, x3, x5 or x10. In most cases, online casinos only allow for x1, x2 or x3 Odds because higher values of this bet decrease house edge down to 0.18%. Placing Odds is also possible in mobile devices because mobile craps versions are basically the same as of desktop one.
Worst bets in online craps
Finally, there are some kinds of bets that feature disadvantageous winning opportunities so players should avoid them:
- Any 7 is a bet that wins if the dice show a combination of 7 (3+4, 2+5, etc.) but the house advantage for this bet is extremely high, at 16.7%
- Craps 2/12 is also a bad choice because the house edge is set at 13.9%
- Field bets win 1 to 1 if the next throw is 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11 or 12. If 2 or 12 comes, the bet pays double (or triple in some variations, e.g. from RTG). The house edge for this bet is 5.6%
- Big 6 and Big 8 win 1 to 1 if the next throw shows 3+3 or 4+4. The chances of this to happen are somewhat slim and the house edge is 9.1%, which makes the bet a high risk of losing money.
Online craps strategy
The mathematically determined odds make it impossible to beat the casino in the long run. However, there are a few tactics the player may employ to provide a much higher chance of success:
- First off, newcomers may start any craps game in a fun mode to practice for some time before switching to a real-money betting
- Players are encouraged to give priority to good bets (the ones with low house edges) reviewed above and gloss over bad bets.
- Stick to bankroll management practices and keep track of current expenses. Online craps is an energetic, fast-paced game that can drain the bankroll rather quickly if not taken care of.